Mwanza, Musoma and Serengeti, Tanzania – ENCOUNTER
August 17 – 26, 2018
Deadline for Sign Ups: April 17, 2018
Karibu Sana Tanzania – Welcome to Tanzania!
“Pole pole ndiyo mwendo.” “Slowly, slowly is the way we go.” For the Tanzania people, life is about relationships and being with people. Maryknoll Lay Missioners (MKLM) and JustFaith Ministries invite you to meet and spend time with the local people in the beautiful diverse Mwanza and the Serengeti region.
What Will You Do?
- Visits with Maryknoll Lay Missioners at their ministries; including HIV/AIDS programs, schools, and women’s groups.
- Visit with our Tanzanian Maryknoll Affiliates and experience their important work.
- Visit Tanzanians in the context of the daily routines of their lives, eating and celebrating with them.
- Participate in local liturgical celebrations, experiencing the joy and hope of the Tanzanian faithful as it is uniquely expressed in song, dance, and jubilation.
- Experience wildlife in its natural environment on a safari in the Serengeti.
Logistics and Costs.
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation, which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. We will do this in the most convenient way. The manner will depend on the proximity of the participants. Our in-country guides are Steve Pope and Susan Carpenter, current Maryknoll Lay Missioners. You will also be accompanied on the entire trip by another experienced MKLM missioner, Bertha Haas, from the United States.
TOTAL COST: $ 2575 (ground cost, local airfare plus registration fee).
This covers the program registration fee, all lodging and meals in country, all transportation within the country (including national air travel), medical insurance with medical evacuation and flying doctors, English- Kiswahili speaking guides, cultural activities, and safari. International airfare, taxes, and visa are not included. (Round-trip airfare cost from NY is approximately $ 895).
Friends Across Borders will provide information on obtaining a visa and immunizations, and will help you make the international flight arrangements. Participants are required to arrive in Dar es Salaam on Thursday August 16 in the evening and leave on Sunday August 26, 2018 in the evening.
To make a reservation, please download the Registration Form, fill it out, and send it to Friends Across Borders with a copy of your passport, a brief bio, and your $250 deposit.