Mombasa, Voi and Nairobi, Kenya – Immersion Program
October 17 – 28, 2019
Deadline for Sign Ups: June 17, 2019
Karibu Sana Kenya – Welcome to Kenya!
They say that those who enter into mission fall into the dance of the living God. Indeed the rhythms of Africa are ones of dances. Maryknoll Lay Missioners (MKLM) in Kenya will introduce us to this dance of life in this beautiful and diverse East African nation. Most know Kenya for her stunning landscapes and abundance of wildlife. Participants of MKLM’s upcoming Friends Across Borders trip to Kenya will experience not only Kenya’s natural beauty, but will also have the opportunity to walk with Kenyan people on their daily journeys.
Humanity’s first footsteps were taken in East Africa. Since then, the people of this region have navigated a long, rich, and often arduous road. Our home bases will be Voi, the largest town in Taita-Taveta County; Mombasa, a city on Kenya’s stunning coastline, in the former Coast Province, and Nairobi, Kenya’s capital city.
Maryknoll Lay Missioners will be our hosts; they will share and celebrate with us the unique gifts of African culture: a spirit of generosity, hospitality, and hope, an emphasis on human relationships, and a pervasive and strong spirituality. The Kenyan people face conditions of extreme poverty, health crises, including malaria, TB, and HIV/AIDS, lack of access to education, rampant corruption, violence, rapid population growth, and chaotic urbanization. We will witness the commitment of the MKLM missioners as they respond to these challenges both by addressing their root causes and the basic needs of the people who are impacted by them.
What Will You Do?
- Visits with MKLM missioners to projects including The Tsavo Children’s Village Project (AIDS Orphan), preschool children at St. Agnes Primary School, St. Patrick’s Dispensary, Wezesha organization for people with disabities, Marianist Technical Institute (MTI), The H.O.P.E. Project (Helping Orphans Pursue Education).
- Visits with Kenyans to share the daily routines of their lives – eating and celebrating with them, and seeing life through their eyes.
- Participation in local liturgical celebrations, experiencing the joy and hope of the faithful of Kenya as uniquely expressed in song, dance and jubilation.
- Learning about the ancient trading cultures of the Kenyan coast by visiting Fort Jesus and the Old Town of Mombasa.
- Experiencing wildlife in its natural environment on a safari in the Tsavo East National Park.
- Mombasa city tour and Jumba la Mtwana ruins tour
- Visiting Bombalulu to support the work of local artisans and Maasai shopping at Naivis.
Logistics and Costs.
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. Our in-country guide will be Mike Garr, current Maryknoll Lay Missioner. You will also be accompanied on the entire trip by one or two experienced MKLM guides, TBD, from the United States.
TOTAL COST: $ 2,120 (ground cost, local airfare plus registration fee).
This covers the program registration fee, all lodging and meals in country, all transportation within the country (including national domestic air travel), medical insurance and medical evacuation with flying doctors, English- Kiswahili speaking guides, cultural activities, and safari. Airfare, taxes and visa are not included. (Roundtrip airfare cost from NY to Mombasa is approximately $ 1,200).
Friends Across Borders will provide information on obtaining a visa and immunizations, and will help you make the international flight arrangements. Participants are required to arrive in Mombasa on Thursday October 17 in the morning and leave on Monday October 28, 2019 in the evening.
To make a reservation, please Download the Registration Form, fill it out and send it to Friends Across Borders with a copy of your passport and your $250 deposit. Please make sure your passport is valid through December 2019!