El Salvador Immersion Program

For the Immersion experience to El Salvador citizens of the United States do not need a visa to enter El Salvador, but they are required to purchase a tourist card upon arrival at the airport or the border. The following are the requirements for a U.S. passport holder to obtain a tourist card to El Salvador:


  1. Your valid U.S. Passport. You must have at least 6 months of validity left on the passport following your departure date to El Salvador.
  2. Make sure your passport has blank Visa pages.
  3. The US citizens can enter El Salvador purchasing a “tourist card” for the amount of US$ 10.00. The tourist cards can be purchased at El Salvador International Airport.
  4. The tourist card for El Salvador is valid for 90 days.
  5. You must give the address of the retreat house in order to get your tourist card (you will get this at the immigration checkpoint after getting off the plane). Please make sure you have the address with your carry on handbag, not in your checked luggage.
  6. The address is: Centro de Retiro María Eugenía (km 10.5 Carretera a Los Planes. Planes de Renderos, Colonia Mira Mar). Telephone: 2280-8063.

If you are a resident of the United States you can travel with the passport of your country of origin. Please check this list of countries that are not required to have visa but are required to purchase a tourist card upon arrival:

If your country isn’t part of this list you will need to contact the Embassy or Consulate closer to you. For further information you can contact your local El Salvador Consulate:

Embassy of El Salvador in the United States of America
1400 16th Street, Suite 100, NW, Washington, D.C. 20036, United States
Phone: 202-595-7500 Fax: 202-232-3763
Email: Website:

Please check this link to find the list of El Salvador Consulates in the United States:

Print this document