Rural Chile Experience and
Intensive Spanish Program
February 9 – 25, 2018
Deadline for Sign Ups: October 9, 2017
Maryknoll Lay Missioners provides an intensive Program of Spanish language and Chilean idioms through classroom work, practical and cultural experiences to increase knowledge of terminology, vocabulary and cultural differences in communication. They will introduce you to Chilean rural life, history and culture through presentations, both academic and artistic, tours to different areas of interest and a living experience with a Chilean rural family to strengthen your cross-cultural competencies and language.
Our main focus is to meet and make friends with the Chilean people and learn about their language, culture and faith. It is important that you come with a desire to better your language skills, to be responsible with the schedule of classes and activities planned. And to have an openness to experience, learn and respect another culture.
What Will You Do?
- Have classes at a beautiful Retreat House in Vilches, Region del Maule and enjoy the scenery.
- Visit Nirivilo, a small historical farming village that was devastated by the February 2010 earthquake.
- Visit a local artist and wood sculptor, Alejandro de Nirivilo.
- Learn about Indigenous weaving and about Traditional Wine Making.
- Visit Constitución and enjoy the blue Pacific.
- Learn about Legends, Music and Dances of Chile.
- Live with families from the Parish Nuestra Senora Del Rosario in Curepto. Practice your Spanish and learn about rural Chilean life.
- Enjoy traditional food, soccer games, hicking and many other fun activities.
Logistics and Costs
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. Our in-country guide and coordinator will be Cecilia Espinoza, current Maryknoll Lay Missioner. You will also be accompanied by four Chilean teachers.
Please contact us for the total program cost. Program fees cover all lodging and meals, all transportation within the country, an English-Spanish speaking guide, Spanish classes, cultural activities, and tourist fees. Friends Across Borders will provide information and orientation.
Please make sure your passport is valid through August 2018!