São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – Immersion
June 8 – 17, 2018
Deadline for Sign Ups: February 8, 2018
Bem-vindo, Bem-vinda! – Welcome to Brazil!
Maryknoll Lay Missioners in Brazil invites you to visit their ministries that focus on meeting basic needs and working to create a more just world. We are particularly focused on the people who live on the margins of Brazilian society including, but not limited to, refugees, prisoners and periphery neighborhood dwellers. Our mission vision honors the richness of diverse spiritualities and celebrates life. We invite you to experience the magic and struggles of the Brazilians that we accompany in our ministries.
What Will You Do?
- Visits with MKLM missioners to projects including Human Rights for Women in Prison, Center for Women,Youth Education, Transitional Shelter , and a Center for Refugees and Immigrants.
- Visits with Brazilians to learn about their lives – eating and celebrating with them, and seeing life through their eyes.
- Participation in local liturgical celebrations, experiencing the faith and the history of Christianity in Brazil.
- Learn about the history of slavery and people of African descent in Brazil.
- Attend cultural events to experience the richness of Brazilian life.
- Overnight visit to Rio de Janeiro, host of the latest Olympic Games, and home to some of the most beautiful cultural aspects of Brazil.
Logistics and Costs.
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. Our in-country guide is Rebecca Muder, current Maryknoll Lay Missioner. Depending on the size of the group, you will also be accompanied on the entire trip by one or two experienced MKLM guides, TBD, from the United States.
TOTAL COST: $ 2,175 (ground cost plus registration fee).
This covers the program registration fee, all lodging and meals in country, all transportation within the country (including national air travel), medical insurance with medical evacuation, English-Brazilian-Portuguese speaking guides, cultural activities, and flight from São Paulo to Rio. International airfare, taxes and Brazil visa are not included. (Roundtrip airfare cost from Miami is approximately $ 800).
Friends Across Borders will provide information on obtaining a visa and immunizations, and will help you make the international flight arrangements.
To make a reservation download the Registration Form, fill it out and send it to Friends Across Borders with a copy of your passport and your $250 deposit.