Cochabamba and Quillacollo, Bolivia – Andean Pilgrimage
Specifically created for JustFaith Ministries Graduates
August 9 – 19, 2018
Deadline for Sign Ups: June 9, 2018
¡Aski jutawi jilatanaka kullakanaka! Bienvenido, Bienvenida a Bolivia – Welcome to Bolivia!
The Maryknoll Lay Missioners invite you to visit our work in Bolivia, one of the most impoverished nations in the western hemisphere. While visiting around the City of Cochabamba, you will have the unique opportunity to meet with church workers, community leaders and social activists.
You will explore important themes such as immigration, use of natural resources like water, and the empowerment of historically marginalized sectors of society such as indigenous persons and women. You will also learn about the history of mission to the Bolivian people and have opportunities for Catholic and inter-religious prayer and reflection with Maryknoll Lay Missioners and the entire Maryknoll community.
Your pilgrimage will occur at a fascinating time. For the first time in history, the people of Bolivia have elected an indigenous president – Evo Morales Aima. After centuries of oppression, the people of Bolivia have renewed hope and strength in their struggles for equality, justice and dignity. You will have a firsthand opportunity to see how a country made up of over 40 different ethnic groups (approximately 65% of the population is indigenous) is struggling to fully incorporate these historically oppressed peoples into society. You will be a witness to the on-going change in daily life. The Bolivia pilgrimage with these incredible people will stir your heart, inspire your faith, and deepen your desire for peace and justice in the world.
What Will You Do?
- Accompany Maryknoll Lay Missioners in their ministries, including education, immigration, health service, youth groups, children and elderly ministries and criminal justice.
- Visit open market, or Cancha, of Cochabamba and interact with Bolivian artisans. You’ll have opportunities to buy crafts such as pottery, weavings, indigenous musical instruments such as the charango and the highest quality hand knit Alpaca sweaters and accessories – directly from the artisans.
- Learn about the history of Catholic mission in Bolivia and the future of mission in Bolivia at the Maryknoll Mission Center in Cochabamba.
- Participate in Indigenous celebrations of Virgen of Urkupiña, the Feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Ork’hopiña in Keschwa means: She’s already on the mountain.
- Deepen your faith through daily Gospel reflection, prayer and interaction with local spiritual leaders.
- Experience the wide diversity of Bolivia’s national cuisine (where organically grown is the tradition), from the freshest tropical fruits, to nourishing and fresh soups, to Andean grains such as quinua.
Logistics and Costs.
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. Our in-country guide will be Hiep Vu, current Maryknoll Lay Missioner. You will also be accompanied on the entire trip by Mary Anne Perrone, a Returned Maryknoll Lay Missioner from the United States.
TOTAL COST: $ 1,850 (ground cost plus registration fee).
This covers the program registration fee, all lodging and meals in country, all transportation within the country, medical insurance with medical evacuation, English-Spanish speaking guides, cultural activities, and tourist fees. International airfare and visa are not included. (Roundtrip airfare cost from Miami in BoA is approximately $ 680).
Friends Across Borders will provide information on obtaining a visa and immunizations, and will help you make the international flight arrangements.
For International travel arrangements we recommend to purchase a flight from Miami to Cochabamba in Bolivia Airlines. The cost at this moment is around $ 680. The flight will depart on Wednesday August 8 at 10:30 pm and will arrive in Santa Cruz on Thursday August 9 at 6:15 am. After 1 hour and 35 minutes will continue to Cochabamba arriving at 8:35 am. The return from Cochabamba should be on Sunday August 19 at 8:30 pm and will arrive in Miami at 5:00 am on Monday August 20.
To make a reservation please download the BOLIVIA 2018 Registration Form, fill it out and send it to Friends Across Borders with a copy of your passport and your $250 deposit.